Friday, July 31, 2009

U23 nats, aka a lot of pain and endless suffering

So the race went ok. Except for the part about little to no neutral water, and a lot of climbing.
Over 130 riders started and only 44 finished. I ended up 19th. Teams represented included Trek Livestrong, Garmin, Rock Racing, Rabobank, Waste Management, and others. Garmin and Trek pretty much controlled the race from the start and made it impossible for anyone without a team to try anything at all. A break composed mainly of Trek and Garmin guys, with a few WM went off the front about 10 miles in. Their teammates blocked and nothing could be done about it. The rest of the race was hanging on for dear life over the climbs in 100+ degree heat (glad i'm form Texas). I made all of the other splits and ended up finishing in the second group with about 10 other riders. Looking at the results and seeing the names Garmin, Trek and WM over and over again in front of my name lessened the blow. Most of those guys already get paid to ride their bike. So I'll take my 19th place and be rather proud of it.

Today is the individual TT, which can also be interpreted of about 40 min of wanting to puke in my mouth, cough up a lung, and feeling my heart-beat in my eyeballs...can't wait :)
Wish me luck!

2 comments: